Lovely Mehndi

Lovely Mehndi
I love the simplicity of this design

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Long distance Mehndi

Okay, now that I have dug up the past, it's time to move on to the present. Henna is still used among Yemeni, Moroccan and Sephardi Jews, as well as some Sabras. It is also still used at Arabic and Indian weddings.

Which brings me back to, well, me. First, I need to ante up with some background information.

Our religious wedding is taking place in the groom's hometown as that is where I will be moving later on; after the legal wedding. As mentioned earlier, I am Canadian. Which means that we have to get married twice in order to get things squared away with Uncle Sam. This is because fiance visas give you just 90 days to get moved and married. Hmmm, 60 days notice for my house, that leaves 30 days to move, unpack, oh - and plan and execute a wedding which customarily is a 10 day event. How likely is this? So we are having our religious events separately - well planned out with over a year to get everything done and our legal ceremony will happen whenever Uncle Sam says so.


Now back to the Mehndi.

Trying to have a Mehndi in INDIANAPOLIS is proving to be a challenge. Unlike my hometown in the Greater Toronto Area, which has a huge Indian population (particularly in the Brampton, Markham, Scarborough and Gerrard Street areas) the community in Indy is relatively small. Next challenge: our families don't live there either. Since mehndi and sangreet are usually at the home of the brides parents, we are going to need to rent a hall. To me, this is actually a blessing. Having looked online at the super fabulous Mehndi that brides in bigger cities like Birmingham, U.K - I feel inspired to do something a little fancier although the event will only have 30-40 guests. Especially since we are combining bridal shower, sangeet and mehndi into one event.


Our mehndi is going to be a blend of traditional Indian and the Biblical elements. My mom and aunt are coming to town early to help with all the preparations. The next task is to figure out where to hold it. Since it is a smaller event I don't really want to rent out a huge hall - we will feel lost in there. My fiance is scoping out the Lions Clubhouse and a couple town halls for us. Hopefully we can find something the right size and right price!

No comments:

Post a Comment